ABILENE The Grace Museum, 102 Cypress Street, 325-673-4587, hours: Tues-Sat 10-5, Thurs 10-8, closed Sun, Mon & major holidays, Admission: $6 adults, $3 senior, students and children 4-12 and free for children under 3 and active duty military (with ID). Free on Thurs from 5-8. Inside the Grace, a renovated 1909 hotel, find three museums: a historic museum featuring life in Abilene from 1900 to 1950, a children’s hands-on museum and a fine arts museum, featuring both permanent and rotating exhibits. 12th Armored Division Memorial Museum, 1289 N. 2nd, 325-677-6515, hours: Tues-Sat, 10-5, admission $5 adults, $4 senior citizens and military and $2 children ages 7-12, free ages 6 and younger. Closed Sunday, Monday and major holidays. In the short space of five months the 12th Armored Division became one of the most feared fighting machines of WW II. The Memorial Museum houses the Division’s Historical Collection and serves as a teaching museum for the study of WW II and its impact on the American people. It also offers innovative educational programs for children and academic access to historical materials. ALBANY The Old Jail Art Center, 201 S. 2nd (Hwy 6 S. ), 325 762 2269, Tues-Sat 10-5, Sun 2-5, closed Mon and major holidays, free admission; nationally accredited art museum housed in the county’s first jail building. They show DVD’s with history of the Fort Griffin Fandangle and Shackelford County. Also houses the county’s historical archives. Flying A’s Hometown Classics Car Museum, 100 S. Main Street, 325 338 4072, Call for hours; local collectors display a rotating exhibit of classic cars, motorcycles, motorbikes, signage and other automotive memorabilia. Shackelford County Courthouse, 225 S Main Street, 325-762-2232, Mon–Fri 8-5; built in 1883; the oldest in Texas in continuous use as a seat of government. The building was lovingly restored in 2002. Self-guided tours available during business hours, guided tours available upon request ANSON Anson-Jones Museum, 1300 Ave K, 325-823-3883, Sat-Sun 2-4, miniature reproduction of 1908 Town Square, doll collection, equipment and furnishings of turn-of-the-century trade and commerce BAIRD Callahan County Pioneer Museum, basement of County Courthouse, Mon-Fri 1-5 T&P Depot Visitor Center & Transportation Museum, 100 Market, Tues-Fri 10-2, exhibits highlight transportation in Callahan Country from the Western Cattle Trail to the T&P Railroad to the Bankhead National Highway BRADY Heart of Texas Historical Museum, 117 North High Street (325) 597-0526; Hours Fri. & Sat. 1-5, Sun. 1-4 (or by appointment); Housed in the former McCulloch County Jail and once described as one of the “finest small town museums in Texas”; free admission (see page33) Heart of Texas Country Music Museum, 1701 S. Bridge Street (325) 597- 1895; Hours: Fri 2-4, Sat 10-4, Sun 12-5 (or by appointment); with more than 100 artists represented, the museum is a visual journey that traces the history of the entire traditional country music industry; free admission (see page33) BRECKENRIDGE Swenson Memorial Museum and J.D. Sanderfer Oil Annex, 116 West Walker, Tues-Fri 10-12 & 1-5, Sat 10-12 & 1-4, 1800’s artifacts, Oil Annex with extensive historical collection from the Boom Town Days to present. Breckenridge Aviation Museum, Stephens County Airport, 2 miles south on US 183, 254-559-2515, collection of WWII aircraft and other memorabilia, call in advance to request a tour. BRONTE Fort Chadbourne Museum, 12 mi. North of Bronte on Hwy 277, 1850’s era military artifacts, Indian artifacts, antique firearms, theater, and Medal of Honor tribute. Open Tues-Sat 8-5. Call 325-743-2555 or 325- 473-5311 for more information. Free admission and donations are greatly appreciated. BROWNWOOD Brown County Museum, 212 N. Broadway, 325-641-1926, open Thurs and Fri 10-2 and Sat 10-4, former Brown County Jail, constructed 1902 of stone, reminiscent of a European castle, 4 stories with 3rd floor trap door used for executions, features history of Peace Officers in Brown County Firearms Museum of Texas, two galleries in the Brown County Museum of History, includes the beginnings of firearms, early cartridge firearms, through Post-Wars and the Present. The Brown County Museum Annex features the history of Brown County, WWII and POW exhibits, Mollie Armstrong exhibit, a miniature circus and children’s area. Gordon Wood Hall of Champions, 600 E. Depot Street, 325-646-9535, open Mon-Thurs 8-5; Fri 8-4, free admission, pays tribute to Coach Gordon Wood, the winningest high school football coach in Texas, as well as the “Hall of Champions,” a collection of athletes and coaches inducted into the prestigious “Hall of Champions” Martin & Frances Lehnis Railroad Museum, 700 E. Adams, open Tues.- Sat. 10-4, admission $3 adult, $2 children (5-12), $2.50 seniors, featuring the private collection of Martin & Frances Lehnis, including railcars, an extensive collection of Railway China, lanterns, photographs and more 36th Division Memorial Park, 325-646-0335, open 24/7, free admission, Camp Bowie, military training center during WWII, memorial park displaying military equipment and vehicles used during WWII through Vietnam CISCO Conrad Hilton Museum, 309 Conrad Hilton Ave, 254-442-2537, weekdays 9-12 & Sun 1-5., historical items from establishment of Cisco and Eastland County, pictorial presentation of Conrad Hilton’s life, video exhibit, Cisco “world’s largest swimming pool” pictorial Lela Latch Lloyd Museum, 116 W. 7th St., Fri-Sat 1-5, historic City Hall Building built in 1915, area artifacts ranging from treasure hunting to a replica of Dr. Graham’s Office, restored vaudeville theatre located upstairs COLEMAN Coleman Museum, 400 W. College St, 325-625-2000 or 325-636-3076, Heritage Hall, featuring Coleman County artifacts, including pioneer clothes, farm implements and tools, documents, photographs, saddles, Taylor family toy collection and a larger than life horse statue brought to Coleman in 1884. Fri-Sat 10 - 4 COLORADO CITY Heart of West Texas Museum, 340 E. 3rd, 325-728-8285, open Tues-Fri 12-5 or by appointment, artifacts from Mitchell County area featuring full sized replica of Bison Antiquus, Lake Champion Mammoth Exhibit, Chief Lone Wolf Exhibit, rotating historical exhibits, and an impressive collection of historical guns. Recognized by the Texas Museum Association as doing the most for the advancement of a museum for any small town and by the Texas Historical Commission as The Outstanding Museum for a small town Heritage House, 425 Chestnut, 325-728-8285, tours available through the Heart of West Texas Museum; take a step back to 1882 on a tour of the Heritage House. The first brick home in Colorado City, this historic home was built from the mud of the Colorado River and has been restored to its original grandeur with period furnishings. Colorado City Opera House, 337 Walnut, (325) 728-8745, Established in 1899, one of the 25 oldest operational live music and entertainment venues in the state of Texas and the second oldest in West Texas; recently restored; hosts regular performances ranging from country, jazz and classical piano to dramatic plays; official home of the C-City Opry and the West Texas Steel Guitar Association COMANCHE Comanche County Historical Museum, Moorman Road (west edge of Comanche), 325-356-5115 or 842-5541, Sat 2-4 or by appointment for groups, Native American and Old West history, community rooms and life-size exhibits Comanche Historic Depot, 304 South Austin Street, 325-356-3233, Mon- Fri, 9am-Noon and 1-5pm, train memorabilia honoring the 100 years of railway service to Comanche. CROSS PLAINS Robert E. Howard Museum, 625 W. Hwy 36, 254-725-4993, 254-725- 6562 or 254-725-9480; open by appointment, listed in the National Register of Historic Places, furnishings, books and other belongings of Robert E. Howard, creator of “Conan the Barbarian” DE LEON Terrill Antique Car Museum, 500 N. Texas Street (Hwy 16), Tues-Sat 10-12, 1-5, Sun 1-4, 254-893-3773, ten cars from 1901-1941 on display, owned by Feltz Terrill Jr., free admission DUBLIN Ben Hogan Museum, 121 E. Blackjack. 254 445-4466, story of Dublin native’s childhood and his amazing career told in pictures, videos and rare memorabilia in historic building Dublin Bottling Works Museum and Bottling Plant, 105 E. Elm Street, 254 445-3939, over 100 years of soft drink advertising memorabilia on display Dublin Historical Museum, 116 W. Blackjack, 254 445-4550, theme: “The Way We Lived” Rodeo Heritage Museum, 118 W. Blackjack, 254 445-0200, photos and memorabilia from the original World Championship Rodeo owned by Gene Autry and Everett Colborn W. P. Kloster Museum Annex, 100 block E. Elm across street from bottling plant; history of world’s oldest Dr Pepper bottling plant and its longtime owner, Billie Kloster EASTLAND Eastland County Museum, 112 S. Seaman, historic building was the Eastland National Bank, fully restored to the original architectural style, features photographs and memorabilia of Eastland County, museum available for exhibits, conferences and meetings Eastland County Jail Museum, 200 N. Lamar, 254-629-1774, tours are conducted by the Sheriff’s Department Austin McCloud Appeals Court Museum, 101 S. Lamar, 254-631-0311, tours by appointment, Eastland County’s first courthouse, believed to be the oldest building in Eastland EDEN Don Freeman Memorial Museum, 325-869-5075, next to City Hall, Sat-Sun only. The museum tracks Concho County development from the frontier to the present. Learn about the distinguished career of Eden native General Ira C. Eaker, who commanded the U.S. Army’s Eighth Air Force bombing campaign against Germany in World War II and is credited with inventing navigational devices and piloted the first transcontinental flight solely dependent on aerial refueling. Also see stories of the cattle and sheep industries that form the backbone of Eden’s heritage, and artifacts related to the area’s native American history. The Earnest and Dorothy Barrow Foundation Museum, 325-469-3361, Eola, (centrally located between Eola, Eden and Paint Rock), open Thurs- Sun. The museum began with memorabilia collected by local ranchers and world travelers, the Barrows, and subsequently expanded by other donors. Diverse artifacts span from prehistoric times to the early 20th century. GOLDTHWAITE Mills County Museum, 1119 Fisher St., 325-648-6212, history of yester year, railroad artifacts, Native American artifacts, large arrowhead collections, antiques and more Old Mills County Jail & Law Enforcement Museum, 1001 Fisher St, 325- 648-3619, collections housed at the Mills County Museum GRAHAM The Old Post Office and Museum Art Center, 510 Third St, 940-549- 1470, general history and fine arts Robert E. Richeson Memorial Museum, Graham Municipal Airport, 866- 549-0401, WWII memorabilia HAMILTON Hamilton County Historical Society Museum, 113 W. Henry, next to the old jail building, open to the public on Sat. 1-4PM or by appointment call 254/386-5152 or 254/386-5859, houses a collection of articles of historical significance to Hamilton County. Included in the collection are Indian artifacts, period clothing, World War II pictures, documents and memorabilia. Website: www.hamiltoncountymuseum.com HAMLIN Rath’s Trail Headquarters Museum/Hamlin Archives, 245 S. Central Avenue, 325-576-3501, Hours Mon-Fri 9-12, Thurs 9-12 & 1-3, houses a small exhibit displaying artifacts from Rath City, local historical documents, photographs and Hamlin newspaper microfilm for research. Texaco Memorabilia Exhibit, 33 S. Central Avenue, 325-576-3101, Hours Mon-Fri 7 - 5 and Sat 7-12, houses quality collection of advertising, promotional items and automobile products spanning several decades. HICO Billy the Kid Museum, 114 N. Pecan St, 254-796-4004, Hours-Mon-Sat 10–5, Sun 1-5, email@example.com Learn about the legend of Billy the Kid and the history of Hico. View old photos of historical figures and reading the letters and various documents that tell the story of early Hico. You will get caught up in the legend of Billy the Kid, an experience you will not forget. JACKSBORO Jack County Museum, Home of the birthplace of Texas 4-H, located in one of the oldest houses in Jack County, built by Stanley Cooper in 1882 from materials freighted in by wagon from Jefferson, Texas. The house witnessed the birth of the “Corn Club” in Texas, later known as the 4-H Club, in 1907 when the founder Tom M. Marks was the resident. Step back in time while walking through to see the artifacts of Jack County days gone by displayed throughout this home. On site you will also find the 1887 Powell log cabin filled with period furnishings, one step inside and you experience what home life truly was for the Jack County pioneers. Hrs: Thurs, Fri, Sat, 10 to 4, Sun: 1 to 4, 241 W Belknap Street, Jacksboro, TX 76458, 940-567-5410 MENARD Menardville Museum, Hwy 83 and 190 crossroads 240in historic Frisco Railroad Building,325-396-2365, contains Menard area historical items, operated by the Menard Historical Society MERKEL Merkel Area Historical Museum, 1501 N. 7th, 325-928-9912, houses a wide range of diverse exhibits of Merkel area history. RANGER Gold-Key Medical Museum, 254-631-6518 by appointment only, medical memorabilia from area doctors plus miscellaneous memorabilia Roaring Ranger Oil Boom Museum, 254-647-3091, 121 S. Commerce, Sat 10-4, historic T&P Railroad Depot, photos, artifacts and memorabilia depicting the 1917 Oil Boom that produced riches 10 times the California Gold Rush, free admission Ruth Terry Denney Library & Research Center, Loop 254 West, 254- 647-5353, selection of antique clothes, artifacts, maps, historic photos, memorabilia of early Ranger prior, during & after 1917 oil boom RISING STAR Rising Star Historical Museum, 108 N. Main, 254-643-4879 or 643-3423, the Higginbotham building, donated to the Rising Star Foundation when the business closed; the museum was started when a group of citizens purchased a 1900 washing machine at a local auction; other purchases and donations were made and the museum opened in 2000; the museum features pictures and memorabilia from the area and includes articles from the Rising Star Hospital, Dr. Dill’s medical office, furnishings from turn of the century, barbershop, military and pioneer clothes ROSCOE Roscoe Historical Museum, 20 Cypress St, 325-766-2233, https://sites.Google.com/site/roscoemuseum/home, contains historical memorabilia of Roscoe and surrounding communities SAN ANGELO E. H. Danner Museum of Telephony, located in Officer’s Quarters Number 4 at Fort Concho Exhibits, an original Alexander Graham Bell telephone along with over 100 antique phone displays, an authentic switchboard from 1910 and telephone directories dating to the 1800s Miss Hattie’s Bordello Museum, 18 ½ E. Concho Ave. 325-653-0112, preserved and furnished much like it was during it’s heyday in the 1900s. The ladies of Miss Hattie’s entertained gentlemen for 50 years, before the bordello was closed in 1946 by the Texas Rangers. Today, thanks to a tradition of preservation, the history is now on display Nature Center Museum, 7409 Knickerbocker Rd., located at Lake Nasworthy in Mary Lee Park, the Nature Center includes hiking trails, a discovery room, the Xeriscape Garden and dramatic displays. Offers programs and events for all ages The Railway Museum, 700 Block of S. Chadbourne, 325-486-2140 (for tours call 325-651-4506), railroad and depot artifacts, memorabilia, elaborate model train layouts and a gift shop San Angelo Museum of Fine Arts, 1 Love St., this beautiful art museum has received international praise, 30,000 square feet houses a distinguished collection of ceramics, among other diverse exhibits SAN SABA San Saba County Historical Museum, Mill Pond Park, Thomas Stewart Drive – Hwy 190 East, Sat–Sun, 1:30- 4 or by appointment from April – September, free admission, discover an over 140 year old log stable used on the Charles Harris ranch on Cherokee Creek 14 miles south of San Saba; a large display of period farm and ranch clothing, household relics and artifacts; also occasional exhibits from other museums or items which are temporarily on loan, most artifacts contributed by local residents SANTA ANNA Santa Anna Museum/Visitors Center, 704 Wallis Ave, 325-348-3407, history of Santa Anna through pictures and artifacts SEYMOUR Whiteside Museum of Natural History, 310 N Washington, Seymour TX 76380, 940-889-6548 – View Dimetrodon, the Permian Era’s largest carnivore and Edaphosaurus, one of the largest herbivores on the plant from that same era. The Whiteside Museum is the only museum in Texas with models of these two stars. Observe the Prep Lab where fossils are being worked on while you watch. Wander into the Texas Wildlife Exhibit and saunter into the “Zoo-seum” where LIVE Texas critters are there for your inspection! Dr. Bakker, world-renowned paleontologist is a frequent guest. Hrs: Tues – Sat 10 to 5; Sun 12 to 5, www.Whitesidemuseum.org and www.facebook.com/WhitesideMuseum SNYDER Scurry County Heritage Museum, campus of Western Texas College, 6200 College Ave, 325-573-6107, Mon-Fri 9-6 & Sat 10-2, historical displays of ranching, farming and oil industries through present day (see ad page 113) Texas Air Museum - White Buffalo Squadron, W. 37th Street, 325-573-1122 STAMFORD Cowboy Country Museum, 113 S. Wetherbee (east side of Square), 325-773- 2500, focuses on the rich history of this land that was once considered “Cowboy Country,” the collection includes items from the SMS Ranches, the TCR Rodeo, Will Rogers, Bob Wills, and western art gallery featuring original artwork by Tom Ryan and Wayne Baize. A new addition expands upon the history of the town of Stamford including exhibits showcasing Ray Rector and Tommie Rector, United States Congressman Charles Stenholm, Elvis Presley, antique medical equipment and town doctors, veterans and military, police and fire departments, and Stamford’s many Texas State Championship winning football teams. SWEETWATER National WASP WWII Museum, 210 Loop 170, (4 miles west of downtown), Wed-Sat 10-5 Sun 1-5, showcases history though state-ofthe- art educational experiences, features eyewitness accounts of the WASP courage, service and sacrifice, worldwide reunion and classic airplane fly-in commemorates the WASP each Memorial Day weekend Pioneer Museum, 610 E. 3rd, 325-235-8547, Tues-Sat 1-5, WASP exhibit, restored 1906 home of the late Judge & Mrs. R.A. Ragland, original furnishings, dinosaur relics found in the area, antique vehicles. On display you will find the works of S.D. Myers, who in 1914 made a saddle for the JC Miller 101 Wild West Shows. The saddle was valued at $10,000.00 in1914. THROCKMORTON Throckmorton County History Museum, 107 S. Eagle, 940-849-9551, by appointment, family memorabilia from many of the county pioneers, town photo collection beginning before 1890, collection of WWI and WWII medals and uniforms TYE Julian Morgan Museum, South St. and Morgan, open by appointment 325- 692-2679, artifacts and history of Tye, monument to Camp Barkley, old stagecoach from Indian Creek Ranch and old fire engine for Tye WINTERS Z. I. Hale Museum, 242 W. Dale, 325-754-2036, Sat 1-5, local history, agricultural exhibit, restored Rock Hotel, Rogers Hornsby Exhibit, restored Blue Gap Post Office, log cabin built in 1878 Rock Hotel Heritage Center, next door to the Z.I. Hale Museum, built in 1909, houses several exhibits on 2nd floor including the Rogers Hornsby Exhibit of Baseball Hall-of-Famer Rogers Hornsby who was born in Winters in 1896, meeting rooms on the first floor Gus Pruser Agricultural Exhibit, across from the Z.I. Hale Museum, named for the farmer, builder and inventor who constructed the building in 1927, Pruser built the first patented cotton picker in the U.S. in 1912, this horse-drawn implement is displayed in the exhibit along with Pruser’s home-made truck, restored tractors, a horse-drawn hearse, a covered wagon and many farm and ranch items from early-day Winters
Published by Texas Midwest Community . View All Articles.
This page can be found at http://trendmag.trendoffset.com/article/Museums/2392223/290031/article.html.